Sunday, September 13, 2009

Although I am a tutor...

Although I am a tutor, I have been called, by clients, a friend, big sister, mentor, advocate, coach, counselor, teacher, surrogate parent, school mother, and muse. I believe in them. I make solid connections with them. I care about them. Tutoring is far more, to me, than assisting, across the table, with school work. Upon my first client, eight years ago, I had no idea this would be the case. The idea I had of a tutor was someone who assisted a student in understanding difficult subject matter.  I even thought when I was a student, that a tutor would be intimidating. Perhaps most students have this perspective, until they actually find a tutor who approaches tutoring (w)holistically. Additionally, it is important to note and remember that students come to me with just one challenge of all the many talents and gifts they hold where I may be deficient.  Therefore, and because we are equal, I treat them as such-with respect-and I allow room for their voices to mean as much as my own.

With an MFA in Writing from The School of the Art Institute of Chicago and a background in literature and performance, I have taught poetry to elementary students, and have taught high school and first and second year college English. I am no longer in the classroom by choice because when I was teaching, I came home every day with individual students in mind who I wished I could affect more intimately. Sometimes, the classroom does not allow that. By nature, I am a nurturer and motivator. By experience, I know how it feels to have butterflies prior to tackling something that is uncomfortable.

There are students who have a light inside yet, in the classroom, the light may be diffused because they are shy, or because they feel their opinion is less than the student who always participates. There are students with learning differences who just need a push, a confidence boost or a technique that helps them achieve a higher degree of success in the classroom. There are students who have amazing ideas for writing, but they are blocked and cannot get their words on the page, or cannot organize their thoughts.  This is why I tutor; to enable students with hesitation or anxiety, so that their voices become louder and they become an equal and respected part of the bigger picture.

My role as a tutor and my responsibility as an educator is to teach students how to approach school and life with zeal. (Well, school to some high school students is incongruous with zeal :) because it is something they have to do.) Nonetheless, the responsibility of an educator is to plant a seed that will grow overtime….to add one more advocate and person who supports them along their educational journey.

Unquestionably, my strength and one of the reasons I am successful at tutoring lies within my ability and need to establish rapport and trust….and because I truly love what I do. The best part of this is working with young adults. Their minds are open, they have fresh ideas, they believe in themselves and they want to contribute something positive to the world. Admirable? Indeed!

No comments:

Post a Comment